2016 was one hell of a year, that’s for sure.
I know I’m not alone when I say that I am glad this awful year is at an end. This wasn’t the best reading year for me, considering that I am in my senior year at the University of Washington, and was working roughly 35 hours a week outside of school. Nonetheless, I did get some reading and blogging done, so let’s take a look at how it went:
Number Of Books You Read: 35 (15 below by goal of 50)
Number of Re-Reads: 3 (all Harry Potter)
Genre You Read The Most From: almost equal amounts from YA Contemporary and Sci-fi/Fantasy
1. Best Book You Read In 2016?
Starting out with the hardest choice, eh?
The Serpent King by Jeff Zentner & The Upside of Unrequited by Becky Albertali
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
The Crown by Kiera Cass.
I had such a hard time rating this one because I wanted so much more from this series conclusion.
3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read?
My Lady Jane!
It was amazing, and I was definitely surprised (in a good way) by how much I loved it. Especially because I’m a history major who studies the period it’s set in, I had NO problem looking past historical inaccuracies!
4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did)?
The Serpent King.
I would simply not shut up about this one (I regret nothing).
5. Best series you started in 2016? Best Sequel of 2016? Best Series Ender of 2016?
Six of Crows. A Gathering of Shadows. Winter. In that order.
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2016?
She’s so lovely, and I started reading her books this year. I don’t know what took me so long!
7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?
This is a FANTASTIC graphic novel I read for a class this year, and I would highly recommend it to anyone.
8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?
Winter by Marissa Meyer.
An action packed series end, I loved it!
9. Book You Read In 2016 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
The Upside of Unrequited by Becky Albertali.
It doesn’t come out until April, so I think i’ll probably reread it when it releases! It made me so happy while reading it, I can see myself picking it up again soon.
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2016?
This Savage Song by Victoria Schwab.
11. Most memorable character of 2016?
Dill, Lydia, and Travis from The Serpent King. <3
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2016?
The Secret of a Heart Note by Stacey Lee.
All the scent descriptions made it beautiful!
13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2016?
The Serpent King. Hands down.
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2016 to finally read?
Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe!!!!!!!!!
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2016?
“If you’re going to live, you might as well do painful, brave, and beautiful things.” – Jeff Zentner, The Serpent King
16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2016?
Shortest: Kindred Spirits by Rainbow Rowell (96 pages)
Longest: Winter by Marissa Meyer (832 pages)
17. Book That Shocked You The Most
Tell Me Something Real by Calla Devlin.
Did not expect the twist!
18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!)
MOLLY AND REID!!
(from The Upside of Unrequited)
19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year
Andie, Palmer, Toby, and Sabrina from The Unexpected Everything!
20. Favorite Book You Read in 2016 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
The Unexpected Everything by Morgan Matson!
21. Best Book You Read In 2016 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure:
A Darker Shade of Magic by VE Schwab. (Shoutout to Nikki!)
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2016?
REID. REID REID REID. I love him. The Upside of Unrequited.
23. Best 2016 debut you read?
The Serpent King! (is this getting repetitive yet?)
24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?
Six of Crows!
25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?
The Upside of Unrequited. OKAY I LOVED EVERY SECOND.
26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2016?
The Serpent King. Yet again…
27. Hidden Gem Of The Year?
Summer of Sloane by Erin L. Schneider.
28. Book That Crushed Your Soul?
Ahhh I don’t know if there was one.
29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2016?
You Were Here by Cori McCarthy.
It’s a mix of graphic novel and prose! So cool.
30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?
Tell the Wind and Fire. Wasn’t my fav.
1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2016?
Confessions of Carlisa (http://confessionsofcarlisa.com/)
Carlisa is such a gem! If you know follow her blog already, please go do that! All her posts are great, and she is just overall so lovely. ♡
2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2016?
Jeff responded really great to it, and I loved writing it, because this book was just really powerful to me.
3. Best discussion/non-review post you had on your blog?
The 2017 Book Blogger’s Planner post!
4. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?
Probably the Victoria Schwab signing at Third Place Books, because I met so many of my blogging friends there! Love you guys. ♡
5. Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2016?
The huge positive response to my planner! I spent so many hours designing it, and I didn’t even know if it would be used by anyone else but me. So that was really great!
6. Most challenging thing about blogging or your reading life this year?
Finding time to actually read, honestly. I worked 3 jobs, and was a full time student, for most of the year. So that was pretty tough!
7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?
Again, The 2017 Book Blogger’s Planner! Thanks for all the love!
8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?
I’ve been fairly content!
9. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
All the bookish goodies on Society6!
10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
Ha. Ha ha ha. no.
1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2016 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2017?
Ever the Hunted!
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2017 (non-debut)?
OMG tie between Goodbye Days by Jeff Zentner, Fall Boys & Dizzy in Paradise by Jandy Nelson, and We Are Okay by Nina LaCour.
3. 2017 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
Caraval by Stephanie Garber.
4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2017?
A Conjuring of Light by VE Schwab!
5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2017?
My only goal is to design more resources for bloggers like my planner, to help myself and everyone get more organized!
6. A 2017 Release You’ve Already Read & Recommend To Everyone:
THE UPSIDE OF UNREQUITED BY BECKY ALBERTALI. Please, please read this one when you can! It was amazing and I love it so much and I know you will too.
Thanks for reading, and sticking around with Let’s Gab About Books through it’s first full year! You all are amazing!
And thanks to Jamie for creating this wrap up post! You can find the original post here.
p.s. link your end of year wrap up posts below, I want to hear about your year!